Sunday, February 24, 2013

Boys Should Be Boys


So for a long time {as in all last year} this was in my car for me to read whenever I had a few minutes I needed to fill.  Mostly when I was waiting to pick up James from school.  So it feels like I read it for.ever!

Anyway I really liked this book and I am totally keeping it to revisit often as James gets older and older.  I loved how no nonsense this book was.  A lot of the advice seemed like duh...  but often knowing something and actually putting it into practice are two entirely different things.  I find that I need to be reminded of common sense often {especially while parenting!}.

One of the main things that I took away from this book is right now while James is almost 4, I am setting the ground work for our relationship for the rest of his life.  I need to take the time now to listen to him, to play with him, to cuddle with him.  If I don't do that now, then he is never going to want to come to me and talk when he is older.  And y'all sometimes it is hard to step away from the dishes, the laundry, the cooking, etc.  Especially when it involves playing trains again.... so not my favorite pastime.  But it is his favorite pastime.  And raising a healthy son is all about the example I set and the relationship that we forge.  It is all about investing my time in my son.

If you have a son this is a GREAT book.  I advise you to pick it up and give it a read.  I don't think that it will disappoint.

Read:  Sept. 2011-Feb. 2013

Pages:  287

1 comment:

  1. Ooo...looks good! I'll have to check this out. I can totally relate to putting aside household stuff to play. I have to be really purposeful about that too! :)

    ReplyDelete